A mother of four, photographer, nature lover. Someone trying to make sense of it all, through photos and stories. 

I try to be free in all senses of the word, so I made the leap and now work with what I love doing; taking pictures, storing this life in moments, both for myself and for clients. My heart is in photographing birth and motherhood, but I take on just about any photography job. 
(See my birth photos at www.birth.no and the rest of my work portfolio at www.mariavatne.no.)

I live on a farm in Norway with my man Nik and my children Ronja, Freja, Falk and Ulv, plus a bunch of animals. We grow our own food as far as the seasons allow it, we don't go to kindergarten, the three youngest ones will be homeschooled.

We govern our own lives, we strive for independence, we want to be in this life wild and free and full of love.

Doctor Falk.

This happened on Thursday: Falk was chatting to and playing with his little brother, everyone else minding their own business for a second, and voila! He had pulled Ulv's nasal tube out! He said he felt strongly that the time of the tube was over, and figured that since us grown-ups didn't do anything about it, he'd take matters into his own hands, literally. Ulv was unfazed by the whole thing, breathing normally, so there was no need to panic. (He has been without the tube before, as you might know.) Since it was late in the evening and nobody felt any need to go to the hospital, we figured we'd try the night without it. We have an oxygen monitor, and of course I know which signs to look for to know if he struggles with breathing or lacks oxygen, so I felt confident to stay home. When we have tried without the tube at night before (in hospital), Ulv has struggled to go into deep sleep, so I was prepared for a night with a bit of fuss and not much sleep. I was wrong! We slept great, completely normal, he had no problems going to sleep and his levels were great (full oxygen saturation). He ate normally too!

It has now been two days and three nights since doctor Falk sorted his brother out, and everything is still going great. I have decided on a week's trial period before making a final decision, I want to see him gain weight without the tube, too (to know that he isn't spending too much energy on getting enough oxygen). So far so good! And we are enjoying it so much, it is just lovely to have full access to those silky smooth cheeks and that perfect button nose. Hopefully there will be no more tube, but if we have to resort to going back to it, at least we know we are very very close to the end. 

In a way, I find it very appropriate that this happened at home, by the hands of one of us. Like it completes his home birth, in a way. 


Lavvu life.

Treasures: An-Magritt.